Edo Museum of West African Art (EMOWAA) is an independent non-profit organisation in Nigeria set up to drive research and execute high-value cultural, arts and heritage initiatives in West Africa. Our evolving research partners include major institutions such as the National Commission of Museums and Monuments (NCMM), the British Museum (BM), and the Deutsche Archaeological Institute (DAI).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Digital and Technology
Location: Benin, Edo or Lagos
Employment Type: Full-time
Reporting Line: Pavilion Director
Start Date: August 2022, subject to 6-month probation period
- The Edo Museum of West African Art (EMOWAA) is launching its Digital Heritage Lab: a series of projects aimed at leveraging the power of technology for the study and management of our heritage. Through an exciting array of projects, EMOWAA will deploy cutting edge technology in Nigeria for high-end data gathering, analysis and presentation
- The purpose is to explore understudied aspects of Nigerian and West African material culture and to bring these findings to life in rich online archives and vivid, interactive displays
- With improved access and interaction with such resources, we can empower future studies and inspire new educational and cultural products in Nigeria – and around the world.
- The Head of Digital and Technology will be responsible for managing EMOWAA’s flagship digital programming to deliver world class content based on the globally recognized material culture of Benin and extending to other West African civilizations.
- This specialist will lead the way in building up the Pavilion’s technical capabilities, acquiring the appropriate software and most importantly in building a successful and motivated team of specialists, as excited by the subject matter as by the medium through which it is being delivered.
- EMOWAA is looking for a highly-motivated leader interested in building a team and portfolio that will get a globally-dispersed generation of scholars, learners and creators excited about West Africa’s rich heritage. You will manage a team of IT and digital specialists but with also reach across the organization and beyond to enable EMOWAA achieve its wider organizational objectives and impact goals.
Acquisition, Licensing and Maintenance:
- Develop specifications and maintain budgets of appropriate IT hardware to enable the effective implementation of EMOWAA’s aims as an organization
- Manage a rolling programme of maintenance, upgrading, licensing of hardware and software to ensure that EMOWAA remains at the cutting edge of digital capability
- Built an effective and efficient IT support system for all EMOWAA IT users
- Identify and prioritize appropriate software to achieve EMOWAA’s overall aims as well as the needs of specialist digital projects
- Manage procurement for hardware and software, ensuring value for money in negotiations with suppliers based on EMOWAA’s charitable status
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of work across EMOWAA’s digital programme, including a digital library, virtual collection, and digital mapping facility
- Develop a core team of IT/data specialists, providing line management, technical and training support as needed
- Oversee the recruitment and performance management of direct reports, including annual performance reviews and mentorship
- Work closely with and, where appropriate, integrate partner cultural institutions in the development of these teams.
Project Development / Fundraising:
- Work with EMOWAA colleagues to develop scope, structure, schedule and budgets for the different elements of the digital programme
- Work with colleagues to develop fund-raising applications which directly address and support the objectives of these programmes;
- Work with funding organizations and partner institutions, maintaining good communications and ensuring the effective delivery of project objectives on time and within budget.
Data Management and Archiving:
- Develop data management processes, structures and standards that will ensure that EMOWAA’s data storage and retrieval system is efficient and transparent
- Develop sustainable digital archives, factoring in the long-term management, preservation and accessibility of EMOWAA’s digital data
- Identify partner institutions that can support these aims and, were appropriate, to develop collaborative relationships and projects.
- Ensure databases created for individual projects and in EMOWAA’s core operations are designed in accordance with the needs of users and of long-term data access
- Support EMOWAA’s curatorial and education and outreach projects delivered through digital applications, such as e-learning projects, virtual installations
- Work with the wider EMOWAA team to identify the most effective ways to deliver the content that will be created by EMOWAA’s digital programmes
- Help identify EMOWAA’s audience, understanding their interests and the most effective digital tools to reach them, including social media, websites and hard infrastructure in Benin and in satellite exhibitions.
- Work closely with the Executive Chairman, the Director of the Pavilion and others as needed
- Advise (or source advisory for) the organization on how to build its in-house IT capabilities, including hiring junior staff, procurement of hardware and software, and training programs
- Develop forms, templates and guidelines for EMOWAA staff and contractors related to the above functions/areas of support.
Experience & Qualifications
- Qualifications: Master’s Degree (PhD preferred) in Information Technology / Geographic Information Systems preferably combined with Museum Studies, Art History or Archaeology.
- Experience: Needs to have had experience of working in digital applications within the context of the arts, preferably including aspects of cultural heritage and/or museum/exhibition management.
- Analytical/Creative Skills: Must be creative and innovative, able to grasp the nature of the wide range of Benin’s material and intangible cultural heritage resources and to identify the best way to document and communicate them using the latest digital tools
- Leadership Skills: Must possess leadership qualities that enable him/her to move, drive, and motivate a core IT team and individual project teams to successful completion of their goals and objectives
Compensation & Benefits
Competitive, subject to credentials.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a 1-page Cover Letter and CV to: careers@EMOWAA.com using the Job Title as the subject of the mail
Application Deadline 30th August, 2022.