Edo Museum of West African Art (EMOWAA) is an independent non-profit organization in Nigeria set up to drive research and execute high-value cultural, arts and heritage initiatives in West Africa. Our evolving research partners include major institutions such as the National Commission of Museums and Monuments (NCMM), the British Museum (BM), and the Deutsche Archaeological Institute (DAI).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Communications & Media Relations
Locations: Benin – Edo & Lagos
Employment Type: Full time
Reporting Line: Director of the Pavilion
Start Date: August 2022, subject to 6-month probation
- The Head of Communications & Media Relations will be in charge of designing and executing our communication strategies.
- You will be the first line of screening for local and international media outlets, manage our web and social media platforms, and support the implementation of our PR strategy.
- The post holder will work with a network of creative and media professionals, and across all departments within EMOWAA to drive effective brand visibility and communication.
- This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the framing of ground-breaking initiatives receiving global acclaim and contribute to EMOWAA’s ambitious impact objectives.
- Build and execute EMOWAA’s annual communication plan, clearly outlining key audience and goal-specific communication products
- Lead on our stakeholder mapping with our key target users and local partners for our first phase initiatives
- Liaise with local and international PR consultants on key projects and initiatives
Media Relations Support:
- Track press requests and media mentions of EMOWAA, and provide weekly media reports to EMOWAA’s senior management
- Draft press releases and key messages for dissemination to relevant media platforms and stakeholders
Web and Digital Management:
- Source and develop content for EMOWAA’s web and social media platforms
- Drive proactive engagement and timely responses across on our social media and website
- Monitor online and offline campaigns, and report on results
Publications and Events:
- Work closely with the Head of Development, Education and Outreach Coordinator and research leads to plan and deliver key public events and publications
- Source and manage content producers in line with specific outsourced projects, including TORs, contracting and oversight on execution
- Conduct editorial reviews on all out-going content for publication on our platforms and sharing with key players and partners
- Drive value-for-money and cost efficiency in our events, production and dissemination work
- Oversee organization and programme-level brand development
- Provide guidelines and trainings for staff to ensure appropriate use of EMOWAA’s communications tools and platforms (i.e. templates, media messages, etc.)
- Regularly collaborate with EMOWAA department leads to ensure consistent documentation of activities and over time to build a multimedia archive
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Marketing, Law, Journalism, International Relations, Public Relations, Communications, or a related field
- 5 years’ experience with a successful track record of garnering positive media coverage for an initiative, business or product.
- Leadership qualities to keep a network of contractors motivated and steer a small team to successful completion of its goals and objectives
- Interest or skill in new and emerging technological software’s and applications desired
- Self-motivated, proactive and willing to learn
- Collaborative approach and ability to contribute to different projects effectively
- Proficiency in MS Suite (required), web or design applications (desired)
- English fluency (required)
- Experience in internal communications management is highly desirable.
- Strong writing, editorial and creative development skills.
- Excellent problem solving. Experience working with creative producers will be highly desired.
Career Growth & Development:
- As the EMOWAA’s key programmes are established, the responsibilities for this role will expand in scope from organizational and project level support specific to the Pavilion to developing strategies that cut across the range of programmes and facilities within EMOWAA’s Creative District.
- As such, this person will be considered as a key contributor of EMOWAA’s fundraising and business development strategies.
- In this expanded capacity, you may represent the organization to the media, stakeholders and external partners in a senior front-facing role.
Compensation & Benefits
Competitive, subject to credentials.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a 1-page Cover Letter and CV to: careers@EMOWAA.com indicating the role of interest in the subject line of the email
Application Deadline 30th August, 2022.